Kolmanskop, Namibia

Kolmanskop is an abandoned diamond boom town in southern Namibia. It was founded in the early 1900s when diamonds were found just laying in the sand. The town had a hospital, ballroom, ice factory, school, theater, and sports hall. They even had the southern hemisphere’s first x-ray machine although it was for scanning people to make sure they weren’t smuggling out diamonds. Despite all they did have, thousands of gallons of water had to be imported each week as the desert provided no such amenity. After World War II, the rate at which diamonds were being found┬átied with new, highly profitable diamond areas being found close by led to the decline of the town and it’s eventual abandonment in 1954. Ever since, the desert has slowly been taking it’s land back.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage